- 1 cup/185g dry pinto beans
- 1 cup/185g dry black beans
(soak the beans overnight in water; should be 3-4 inches above beans while soaking)
- 1 cup/180g quinoa
- 1 large red onion
- 1 medium-large zucchini
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 cup/180g corn kernels
- 1 14oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 14oz can no salt added tomato sauce (+1 full can of water)
- 1 4oz can diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon: cumin, coriander, smoked paprika
- 4 large cloves of garlic, diced or grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make sure you soak the beans overnight!
- Put the beans into a slow cooker covered by an inch or two of water. Set on high, and beans should be cooked in about 3 hours. Once they’re done, set the slow cooker to low.
- Roast the onion, zucchini, carrots, and jalapeño until slightly browned.
- Once beans are cooked, add quinoa, tomatoes + water, and chilies. Add spices and garlic.
- Allow quinoa to cook (30-40 minutes, if you turn down to low), and add the roasted vegetables. Add the corn last.
- Soup should be done, but you can allow it to hang out on low for a while in the slow cooker.
Optional toppings (kind of, I mean, you should put them on top):
- lime juice
- vegan cheese shreds
- dairy free quesadilla!